This is minto's private diary - be updated as there are some daily happenings, noteworthy happenings, mysterious happenings and paranormal happenings...no chance at all!

11/16/2007

How about the effect of INSTANT WORD POWER?

I know the necessity of increasing my English vocabulary for increasing my English skill, but I can't have memorised a lot of words with using an English vocabulary book written in Japanese!



So I've changed my mind - I shouldn't use a book written in Japanese but in English, and which is for English native students. It should be the fast way for me to improve my English!!!



And I've found what claims to be the best vocabulary coach among Amazon.com..."INSTANT WORD POWER"!!!







According to this book, to learn about the Greek or Latin roots, prefix and suffix called etymology is very important. It might be popular among the Western students, but I've never tried to learn like that.


Actually there are nothing but the words I've never seen before - biped, centennial, bifocal, bicuspid, impede, expedite and so on (you might recognize which prefix I've learnt). So this method has impressed me, and thankfully, I've enjoyed learning a lots of new words very much because I generally can't remember many new words as easily.


But I have a little problem - I don't have a chance to use these words in my real life so far. How would you say anything with using "bicuspid" in your life??

1 comment:

Scottie said...

I've managed 30 years without having to use "bicuspid" - in fact I had to go and look up what it meant. Unless you;re a doctor its probably a word you don't need to know.